There is a user manual available (the PDF document linked after the database name), but it is very long and detailed! Below are shorter instructions to get you started:
From the Ad$pender homepage, under Custom Reports, click "create". This opens a 6-step worksheet that walks you through setting up a report.
- Media. Choose which media you want data for. Highlight and click the right arrow to select.
- Time period. First click the "Show Data Availability" button: This tells you the dates for the latest available data, which vary by media channel. With that information, make your selections.
- Product set. Things to know:
- Be aware that products are listed in order by classification code, not alphabetically!
- Search drop-down menu. Here you can see the hierarchical levels of the classification scheme from broad to narrow (global product groups to microcategories for product categories; ultimate owner to products for brands/products).
- "Show all" button versus "Search" button: You can browse by clicking the Show all button. Keyword searching works well IF you already know the terminology used in the classification scheme!
- When just beginning, start near the top of the classification hierarchy (for example, with industry), and click Show All. Then you can find the base classification code (1 letter, 1 digit; e.g. F2) you'll need when browsing in the narrower levels of the scheme.
- Change the search drop-down menu to Categories or subcategories and click Show All again to get more detailed product choices.
- Make your selections.
- Report format: pick what works for you.
- Report options: at least increase the font size?
- Run report: this will take a minute or several minutes, depending on how many variables you’ve selected.