Quick Library Links
Marquette Libraries and the German Honor Society (Delta Phi Alpha) have developed this site to help you quickly find the resources you need when using the German language. Click on the tabs above to find what you want. The first row of tabs concentrates on learning the language, the second on using it.
Why Study German?
The top ten reasons from the American Association of Teachers of German
1. Germany is the world's 2nd largest exporter.
2. The EU language with the largest number of native speakers is German.
3. 18% of the world's books are published in German.
4. Germany is home to numerous international corporations.
5. German is no harder to learn to speak and write than other languages.
6. German is the second-most commonly used scientific language.
7. German is the language of Goethe, Nietzsche and Kafka. Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Freud and Einstein also spoke German.
8. Speaking and understanding German will deepen your knowledge of the culture and improve your employment opportunities.
9. Learning German provides deeper insights into a region that plays a vital role in central Europe's intellectual and economic life and in its cultural history.
10. In many regions, Germans account for the largest percentage of tourists.
Click here for the DAAD's seven good reasons for learning German