Background information is the foundation upon which you build good research.
Reading background information allows you to quickly learn more about a subject and help you make informed decisions about how to approach your research and select reliable sources.
Background reading will help you:
- Identify key concepts, names, events, authors, terms, etc. associated with your topic.
- Determine whether your topic is too narrow or too broad.
- Figure out if there is consensus or controversy surrounding your topic.
- Understand the historical context and relationships to other topics.
- Find potential articles & books in bibliographies.